Saturday, March 10, 2007

Cameras on the race course


This sounds like narcissism, but I always look for the photographers on the race course. You know you're going to get an email a few weeks later with those thumb-nail shots of you sweating your butt off, face contorted in pain and suffering as you struggle through the last stretch. Bad weather makes it worse, because you're wearing some crazy hat-glove-jacket combination.
This shot of me during the 2005 version of the Rodes City Run is perhaps the only half-way decent race picture I've ever received from the people at brightroom. It's also the only one I've ever purchased, partly because my time of 40 minutes and 28 seconds that year was a personal best, good enough for 13th out of 219 runners in my age division. As a seeded runner the following year, I failed to train properly and got absolutely smoked, adding a full eight minutes to my final chip time. Needless to say, the photos weren't pretty.

No comments: